- Enrollment for the 2015-2016 4-H year is open on 4-H Connect. For returning members please remember to select the "re-enroll" button - DO NOT CREATE A NEW PROFILE. If you have any issues with 4-H Connect please call the Extension Office at 903-683-5416.
- PALs (Parent & Adult Leaders Association) Meeting will be Monday, September 29th at 6:30 p.m. at the County Extension Office. ALL parents are invited and encouraged to attend this meeting!
- The District Gold Star Banquet will be Tuesday, October 13th in the Grand Ballroom at SFASU in Nacogdoches.
- 4-H One Day is October 10th.
- Cherokee County Hay Judging Contest will be Wednesday, October 14th. Club managers: please get me a list of the kids (by team) that will be competing no later than Friday, OCTOBER 9th. The Hay Show & Sale will be October 20th.
Thursday, September 10, 2015
Thursday, September 12, 2013
- Enrollment for the 2013-2014 4-H year is open on 4-H Connect. For returning members please remember to select the "re-enroll" button - DO NOT CREATE A NEW PROFILE. If you have any issues with 4-H Connect please call the Extension Office at 903-683-5416.
- Download the new 4-H App available in the App Store for iPhone & iPad users and in the Play Store for Androids. Just search for "4-H News and Events".
- Shooting Sports informational meeting will be Sunday, September 15th at 1:30 p.m. at the Jacksonville Police Department.
- Food & Fashion Project informational meeting will be Monday, September 23rd at 5:30 p.m. at the County Extension Office.
- PALs (Parent & Adult Leaders Association) Meeting will be Monday, September 23rd at 6:30 p.m. at the County Extension Office. All parents are invited and encouraged to attend this meeting!
- The District Gold Star Banquet will be Tuesday, October 1st at SFASU in Nacogdoches.
- 4-H One Day is October 12th.
- Cherokee County Hay Judging Contest will be Tuesday, October 15th. The Hay Show & Sale will be October 22nd.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Thursday, August 30, 2012
The fall Walk Across Texas program officially kicks off next Thursday. Here are the basics:
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Good Morning Club Managers,
· Monday, April 9 ~ 9:30 AM to 3 PM
· Bring a sack lunch & snacks
· Bring any decorating/scrapbooking type items with you for us to share
· Bring magazines that we can cut out of & a pair of scissors
· FREE ( Fee charged for Storyboard ONLY)
· RSVP to the county office by Wednesday, April 4th
· County contest open to Clover Kids (Kindergarten-2nd Grade); Juniors, Intermediate & Seniors
· Specific guidelines and forms can be located on the County 4H Fashion blogsite at http://cherokeefashion.blogspot.com/ or the District 5 4H website at http://d54-h.tamu.edu/district-events/2011-2012-district-events/fashion-show/
· Categories you can participate in:
o Storyboard – Theme: Around the World ~ Individual Event
o Clothing Construction ~ Individual Event
o Clothing Buying ~ Individual Event
o Windows Wow’ed – NEW in 2011 – Theme: Stars, Stripes & Clovers ~ TEAM Event
o Glue-A-Shoe(Taps, Tassels & Tacks) – NEW 2012 – Theme: Stars, Stripes & Clovers ~ Individual event
· ALL entries for DISTRICT due via 4H Connect April 10, 2012
o $6 District Entry Fee for Fashion Show, Storyboard & Windows Wow’ed
o NO entry Fee for Taps, Tassels & Tacks
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to a FUN day with our youth on Monday, April 9th!
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Monday, February 6, 2012
Chocolate Dessert Contest
The “Seventh Annual Best Chocolate Dessert Contest” will be held on Saturday February 18, 2012. If you make the best chocolate dessert around, this is your opportunity to show off your talents. The Smith County Extension Education Association and the City of Tyler Parks and Recreation Department are hosting the contest at the Senior Citizen’s Center at 1915 Garden Valley Road in Tyler. The contest was formerly just for Smith County residents, but was opened up to all of East Texas in 2011. Entries will be accepted from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. There are two divisions: Youth up to age 17 and Adult for 18 years and older. The entry fee is $1.00 per item entered and is due on the day of the contest. Entry forms can be obtained from the Texas AgriLife Extension Service office in Smith County or on the website: smith.agrilife.org (see Blogroll, click Smith County 4-H Connections, click 7th Annual Chocolate Dessert Contest and click entry form). You can also fill out your entries at the Senior Citizen’s Center when you bring your desserts to the contest. In addition to the ‘bragging rights’ that come with being selected the best chocolate dessert in East Texas, prizes will be awarded to the top three in each division. So bring us your best!
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
ACYLA JACKPOT SHOW
MARCH 3, 2012
ANDERSON COUNTY YOUTH LIVESTOCK ARENA
750 N US HWY 287 PALESTINE, TEXAS
TJLA SANCTIONED SHOW FOR STEERS, HEIFERS, PIG AND GOATS.
NON-SANCTIONED LAMB SHOW
2 RINGS FOR STEERS AND HEIFERS
1 RING FOR GOATS, PIGS AND SHEEP
WEIGH-IN FOR STEERS, PIGS, GOATS AND LAMBS 7AM – 8:30 AM
SHOW STARTS AT 9:30 AM.
STEERS AND HEIFERS – RING A $25 ENTRY FEE
RING B $15 ENTRY FEE
MUST ENTER RING A TO ENTER RING B.
CASH PAY-OUT AND BUCKLES FOR OVERALL GRAND AND RESERVE –RING A
GOATS AND SWINE – ONE RING $25 ENTRY FEE
CASH PAY-OUT AND BUCKLES FOR OVERALL GRAND AND RESERVE
LAMBS (NON-SANCTIONED) $15.00 ENTRY FEE
CASH PAY-OUT AND BUCKLES FOR OVERALL GRAND AND RESERVE
SHOWMANSHIP 9:30 am $5 AT GATE, WINNER TAKE ALL.
No late fees but you may pre-enter by sending registration slip and fees to:
PO Box 59
Palestine, TX 75802
Questions? Please call Michael at 903-724-5551.
ELECTRICAL OUTLETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR BLOWERS AND CLIPPERS. GENERATORS RECOMMENDED.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Clover Kids – Food Show, Display Contest & Poster Contest – NO County Entry FEE!!!
Junior, Intermediate & Seniors – Food Show/Food Challenge/Poster Contest/Display Contest – Entry FEE for Food Challenge ONLY ($7 per person)
Where: County Extension Office
Contest: Monday, January 16 @ 9:30 AM
Food Show: Bring recipe and dish and ready to answer judges questions. Categories: Main Dish, Breads & Cereals, Fruits & Vegetables and Nutritious Snacks
Food Challenge: $7 entry fee per person, you will be divided into teams at county contest, or come with a team already formed – teams of 3-5 individuals of all Juniors, Intermediate, Seniors or mixed teams are eligible for competition. BUT mixed teams cannot advance to state.
We may enter up to 3 teams per age division per county.
Display Contest: NO entry Fee, 24-inch space for each contestant, only edible garnishes allowed.
Poster Theme: “Health Food Fast: Create a Well Balanced Meal Deal” 28x22 – No foam board, No entry fee, Need not go to District to enter or win. One entry per person Judged on creativity and nutritional message.
The back of each poster MUST include the following: Name, County and Age Division
Monday, October 31, 2011
Archery Site Directions:
From Alto: (About a 16 mile trip)
Take FM 851 North out of Alto to FM343 (approx. 10 miles). Turn Left on FM 343 and travel approximately 1.5 miles to County Rd. 1210 (approx. 1.5 miles). Turn right on 1210 and travel North to County Rd 1201 (approx.. 1.75 miles). Turn right on 1201 and travel approximately .75 miles to FM 2962. Turn left on 2962 and travel North approximately 2.4 miles to County Rd 1219 and turn left. Follow 1219 approximately .4 miles and look for a double red gate on the right side of the road. You should be able to see us off to the right from 1219 before you get to the double red gate. Go through the gate and come back to our location along the fence line.
From Wells: (about a 30 mile trip)
Go North on HWY 69 to Alto and then follow the Alto instructions.
From Rusk: (about a 10 mile trip)
Take HWY 84 East out of Rusk travel approx. 8.75 miles to FM 2962. Turn right on 2962 and travel approximately 1 mile to County Rd. 1219. Turn right on 1219 and follow 1219 approximately .4 miles and look for a double red gate on the right side of the road. You should be able to see us off to the right from 1219 before you get to the double red gate. Go through the gate and come back to our location along the fence line.
From Jacksonville: (about a 20 mile trip)
Take HWY 204 out of Jacksonville towards Nacogdoches to Reklaw (appox 16 miles). Turn right on HWY 84 heading towards Rusk to FM 2962 (approx. 2 miles). Turn left on 2962 and travel approximately 1 mile to County Rd. 1219. Turn right on 1219 and follow 1219 approximately .4 miles and look for a double red gate on the right side of the road. You should be able to see us off to the right from 1219 before you get to the double red gate. Go through the gate and come back to our location along the fence line.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Monday, November 30, 2009
The Cherokee County Livestock Show animal project validation will be held this Saturday, December 5th at the Showbard in Jacksonville from 8AM to 10AM. If you have any questions feel free to contact the CEO for more information (903) 683-5416.
Friday, October 30, 2009
A Swine Project Clinic
at the Cherokee County Show Barn on Loop 456 in Jacksonville,TX
Starting at 6 pm
Texas AgriLife Extension agent and swine judge, Ricky Thompson will be providing the project guides, selection tips, and management strategies to help you compete on the top level for market hogs. There will be a judging demonstration on live swine and a few gilts will be available for purchase after the clinic. There will be more project swine available at the project sale in Henderson on November 15, 2009.
This is a free clinic and all materials will be provided. All area 4-H and FFA chapters are welcome and encouraged to attend.
For more information or to RSVP contact Cooperative Extension Agent, Rene' McCracken or Texas AgriLife Extension Agent, Aaron Low at 903-683-5416.
Please distribute attached flyer to those interested in swine projects.
Submitted by: Rene' McCracken, CEP-AgNR Cherokee County
Cherokee County Cooperative Extension Agent, Rene' McCracken has coordinated with the Singletary Public Library in Rusk and Truman Lamb of Heritage Land Bank-Palestine to present Youth Loan Workshops for agriculture projects on Nov 2nd and Nov 9th. This is a free workshop for all youth 10 yrs and up currently enrolled in a 4-H Club or FFA Chapter. The loan terms are: up to $5,000, for one year, with minimum interest paid back after the sale of the project. The loan can be used to purchase market or breeding livestock, materials for shop projects, or to purchase feed for livestock.
At Workshop #1 general loan information will be provided and application forms distributed to those interested youth. At the 2nd Workshop on November 9, 2009, we will hand in the completed forms and assist in completing them if necessary. Loans should be funded by the middle of November. Program begins at 4:30 pm each session. Space is limited - so RSVP early at 903-683-5416 or Lrmccracken@ag.tamu.edu
Who Should Come? All FFA & 4-H Youth (10 yrs and up), Ag Teachers and 4-H Leaders, Extension Agents, Mentors and Parents. If you cannot attend the meeting but would be interested in the loan program contact Truman Lamb at Heritage Land Bank 903-729-4667. Extension programs serve people of all ages regardless of socioeconomic level, race, color, sex, religion, disability or national origin.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
3 Kids have already signed up. Partial reimbursement of the registration fee will be available from the County PALS association at a later date.
Select this link for more information.
Sorry for the short fuse on this, but our office has been busy setting up the Hay Judging Competition and we let time get away from us.